This post is over 30 days old. The position may no longer be available
Software Engineer (Frontend/Backend)
Posted by Zahir Koradia (@zahirk)
Are you looking for a way to reinvent the way the world learns? Did you end up hating a subject because of poor teaching and want to do something about it? Up Learn may be the right place for you.
Come build Up Learn’s AI and Cognitive Science based learning platform from scratch. Come build it using Phoenix (Elixir), React, and GraphQL. Have ideas for a better tech stack? Come have your say. You’ll be laying Up Learn’s foundations for scale and building a product that successfully tackles one of the most meaningful problems there is: education.
At Up Learn, we guarantee students academic success or their money back. Up Learn provides the entire curriculum learning component of education, and if we’re successful we’ll eliminate the need for exams and reinvent education into an experience that prepares students for the rest of their lives.
Since launching in 2016 we’ve achieved 97% A*/A success rate (with some students starting from grades as low as Ds and even Us), helped over 2,000 students, delivered over 400 scholarships to disadvantaged students and received 100% 5* reviews on Trustpilot.
We’ve now raised over £2.5m from exceptional investors - including top VC Forward Partners - to create our next wave of A Level and GCSE courses, expanding our reach to over 2 million new students every year.
We have a team-first culture: we’re building Up Learn into the best company to work at in the world, so that we’re able to do the best possible work for our customers: the students. The work we do for students today, will have a lasting impact for the rest of their lives.
You want to build something that makes a huge positive impact on people's lives. You care about the code you write, aiming to make it robust, readable and maintainable. You are excited about building a smooth and painless experience for students and are willing to put in the effort to achieve that. You enjoy learning on the job, are serious about your career growth and care about the team your work with.
We are building the most advanced education technology company in the world, pushing the frontiers of effective education, and having a tangible impact on thousands of young people.
If that excites you, we can’t wait to meet you.
What you’ll do in the first 6 months
- You'll help build the entire stack and architecture, selecting the correct technologies for scale
- You’ll build dozens of new features and services from scratch
- You’ll establish and cultivate software development best practices and processes
- You’ll help define the engineering culture at Up Learn
You should have:
- Strong programming basics either obtained in school or through experience.
- Experience with one or more of:
- React, Flexbox, Redux
- Phoenix, Elixit, Ecto
- Rails, Ruby
- Django, Python
- Strong ethical foundation
Bonus points for:
- Prior experience in startups
- Experience of both frontend and backend technologies
- Experience with DevOps
What we offer
- Highly competitive salary, plus equity share options
- Opportunity to work remote full time
- A fun, friendly, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant
- The chance to define the future of education and make a meaningful contribution to the lives of thousands of students
- An excellent working environment in our spacious and bright private office in Old Street, with delicious coffee, selection of teas and unlimited snacks and drinks
- Regular team outings like go-karting and skiing, flexible working hours, unlimited holidays (minimum 31 days)
Apply for this position
Login with Google or GitHub to see instructions on how to apply. Your identity will not be revealed to the employer.
It is NOT OK for recruiters, HR consultants, and other intermediaries to contact this employer