True North is developing a large enterprise tool including Core Workflow, Productivity and Experience modules in house. Consequently, True North is seeking to build a small team to oversee development through multiple vendors and then maintain and improve upon the codebase.
We are looking for a hacker, an excellent programmer who can write/debug code, set up servers/network and fix problems of system stability or performance. Person will work along with a Project Manager and a small team including some Systems and Applications Engineers.
True North (erstwhile India Value Fund) was established in 1999, with a focus on investing in and transforming mid-sized profitable businesses into industry leaders, built on strong foundation of True North values. Steered since its inception by Vishal Nevatia, True North has built deep knowledge and skill in the Indian market. It has successfully launched five separate investment funds with a combined corpus of over US$ 2 billion. Thirty-Five high quality international institutions with a combined investible capital base of over US$ 1 trillion have provided the capital for the fund.
The firm has invested in promising companies, partnered progress, and has seen successful exits. In each prudently selected investment, it developed resilient partnerships with management teams based on mutual respect, integrity, and transparency. This, along with an ability to deliver appropriate support in building businesses has created great value for all stakeholders.
True North is primarily focused on businesses in three industries i.e. healthcare, financial services, food and consumer. It has now decided to add a fourth pillar and also focus on businesses in technology enabled products and services.
Key result areas
- Interacting with systems architects and CTO, translating their objectives into software specifications.
- Writing detailed software specs, work breakdown structure (WBS) for new modules, and converting spec to tasks in our issue tracking system to enable implementation.
- Helping the development teams about the quality of their code, tuning their development and testing processes.
- Providing technical leadership to the dev and ops teams, solving their problems, clearing technical roadblocks they may face from time to time.
- Exploring, testing, and making production-ready new software packages, technical tools and hardware accessories and plug-ins which the team may never have worked with before.
- Defining release engineering processes to release new versions of the firmware.
Key Performance Indicators
- No of problem escalations resolved.
- Contribution towards new components that are explored and integrated into the system.
- Technical leadership in improving software quality through direct assistance to developers and through setting processes and standards.
- Quality of support & guidance provided to developers in technical challenges.
- Computer Science Degree from a reputed Engineering Institute.
- Software development experience, specifically in a Dev Ops team.
- 2 – 10 years of experience.
- Programming Language agnostic software maturity.
- Experience in installing, configuring, and troubleshooting Linux, Windows and networking, rebuilding the Linux kernel from source, configuring boot scripts, debugging network connectivity, tuning kernel parameters, etc.
- Knowledge of TCP/IP including IP routing, packet filters, etc.
- Understanding of good system design: reusable components, extensibility, etc.
- Understanding of reliability, availability and serviceability issues.
- Knowledge of information security, vulnerabilities and security tools is desirable.
- Ability to read and understand new technologies from books and research papers is desirable.
Must have competencies
- Tenacity in technical matters
- Analytical skills
- Quality consciousness
- Priority towards fundamentals and depths of a subject
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills