Chief Technical Officer
Posted by Arturo Hernandez
The main outline of the role is to be:
● The driver of the strategy for OPEN’s technology program, software products, and how the tech department provides value for the network
● The chief advisor on technical matters across the organisation and when speaking on behalf of or making recommendations to the OPEN network
● The leader of the technology program, its team and its resources, responsible for planning and excellence in execution across that team’s work
● A collaborator to the Network Team in designing and delivering Tech events, such as our Tech Summit, where technologists and campaigners from the OPEN network come together to share best practice and innovations
We are looking for an accomplished technical leader to manage the current team which includes a few in-house tech team members and a few external contractors. It also involves managing software collaborations which each have their own set of users and stakeholders, varying levels of community investment, product ownership, roadmap, backlog, and dev teams. The largest of the projects has about 4 staffers (equivalent) assigned to it.
It can get complex but it is also really, really good work. Whatever your team builds will have a dozen or two of the most amazing activist organisations on the planet using it to do good things. And once you’re settled in, you’ll have a chance to chart the course for this incredible community for years to come. This will include helping them achieve a kind of collective self-determination, to own the means of producing activism. From how we call government officials, to how we fundraise, to how we handle marketing automation, how groups integrate their online ads with their email data, or how they optimise WhatsApp shares on phones with limited internet.
OPEN’s technology program is at a key moment; we have built up some significant tech collaboration structures that are proving effective and scalable, and we are beginning to spread these successful practices to our other projects. There is loads of great work happening right now, and we have existing current funding to expand our team. We need someone to manage growth wisely and lead the team enthusiastically, to reinforce these new structures and smooth out the rough edges.
We’re not expecting a ny applicant to look exactly like the ideal candidate but this should give you an idea of what we are looking for:
● Is comfortable managing a team of technologists, such as product owners, developers, user-experience researchers, security specialists, etc.
● Is interested in leading a team’s inclusive culture and maintaining its ongoing health.
● Has experience managing budgets and staff decisions for a department.
● Is capable of estimating large pieces of work then helping to map out the implementation strategy with teams.
● Is excited to maintain good relationships with the broader professional network, supporting an active community to build great software together.
We are conducting a global search for this position (with the caveat that applicants must be able to cover time zones aligned with Europe & Africa (where most organisations currently running our software are based). We will provide several months of supported onboarding to get upto speed for this role. During the onboarding time you’ll be involved in ongoing strategic planning discussions, conduct project reviews, and be introduced to the extended team of users, campaigners, and developer contributors.
If you feel like you have some of the skills but not all, that’s fine – please get in touch; we want to grow with you, and you may offer different but equally valuable other skills not listed here anyhow!
Apply for this position
Login with Google or GitHub to see instructions on how to apply. Your identity will not be revealed to the employer.
It is NOT OK for recruiters, HR consultants, and other intermediaries to contact this employer