This post is over 30 days old. The position may no longer be available
Ruby on Rails Developer at abela.app
Posted by Aditya Kapoor (@adityakapoor)
We are looking for a rockstar Ruby on Rails Developer for Abela, which is a micropayments company catering to the unbanked population in South Africa.
The product was born out of boredom where we could not do anything during the tough time of lockdown as we needed something to keep our insanity in check. One weekend of April 2020 Abela was conceived and within 48 hours, the first version was live with a basic integration with PayGate DPO. Since then there is no turning back and the following features were added slowly yet steadily.
- Integration with QR-code based payment providers like Zapper and SnapScan
- Exclusive Masterpass integration
- Value Added Purchases on Kazang
- Automated fraud detection transactions
- Expedited KYC process to make the onboarding faster, and much more.
We have a pretty intense roadmap for this year and there will be many things for you to learn and explore.
The team and the tech
- Remote team working out of India with the product owners based out in Cape Town.
- Classic Ruby on Rails application running on v5.2 and Postgres.
- For deployments we use Heroku.
What do we expect
- You primarily identify as a backend engineer and are comfortable working on the server-side logic.
- You are expected to have some rudimentary knowledge of accounting and financial jargon.
- You can write non-trivial programs in Ruby on Rails.
- You can write clean, modular code in either Object-Oriented style.
- You are fluent in using at least one DB, preferably PostgreSQL, but feel free to surprise us.
- You have shipped code to production recently, regularly.
- You are driven and care about doing a good job and improving your craft.
- You have high integrity, and you are reliable.
- You are a team player and always willing to go the extra mile to get the shit done.
What do you get
- We're not Stripe or PayPal, but we will pay well enough that money alone wouldn't be a blocker for you joining
- Mentorship and a chance to grow professionally
- A chance at a career-building stint. Abela is right now on the ground floor of an amazing opportunity and poised to do great things.
- A chance to define the company culture, be a stakeholder in how we do things. Don't like something? Make your case; change it.
- A friendly interview process that you will enjoy participating.
When applying, please send us:
- Your LinkedIn profile or your resume, preferably both.
- A snippet of code you wrote recently and are proud of, and why you are proud of it.
- Create a GitHub gist (or equivalent) with the above things, and send it to us through this platform.