This post is over 30 days old. The position may no longer be available
Senior backend engineer - RoR
Posted by Srirang Doddihal (@brahmana)
Presto is a leading SaaS platform that is reimagining the way businesses do their business online. Presto platform provides an out of the box solution for all forms of digital business, be it mobile apps or websites or m-sites, empowering the merchants to maintain an online presence and carry out transactions smoothly. We pride ourselves in the beautiful UI that we craft in our apps & websites and in the stability & scalability of the platform.
We are looking for passionate engineers to carry forward legacy and help us grow the platform both vertically and horizontally. We are working on adding several more modules to our back-end and that requires a seasoned back-end engineer who can visualize the interactions between multiple systems and architect the feature accordingly. You should know about standard practices like ReST, MVC, TDD/BDD, Continuous integration & Continuous deployment like the back of your hand.
You should know what it means to build an API which will be consumed by multiple clients. You will have to keep multitenancy in mind and build features for the “platform” and not a specific “customer”. Any code that you write and gets pushed to servers will impact a lot of customers in one go and hence automated tests and thinking of corner cases is pertinent. We strongly believe in TDD/BDD and we expect you as a senior engineer to follow it and drive it. Quality and stability of the code is paramount.
Your responsibility does not end at developing. Every engineer at Presto is responsible for every line of code from him/her for its entire lifetime. Devops will be an integral part of your work. Consequently knowledge of dealing with production servers, deployment, monitoring, alerting, performance of live systems are all the things that will be your daily mantra.
As a senior engineer in a growing organisation you will be expected to guide, mentor and grow the junior engineers while allowing yourself to grow personally also. At times you might be asked to drive an engineering sprint or champion a feature or carry out a release. You will be pretty hands on and you will definitely learn a lot - as much as you want. You will have opportunities for direct interaction with people across functions and with a flat hierarchy, everyone is just one degree away.
Above all, you will have to be open minded and ready to pick up any challenge thrown your way. Like it is popularly said in the startup folklore, the best startup engineer is the one who says “I will figure it out”.
- Hands-on experience creating web applications using Ruby on Rails (or similar backend technologies like Java with Spring / Python with Django or Flask)
- Knowledge of testing tools and practices like RSpec (JUnit), TDD/BDD
- Good understanding of HTTP and how the web works
- Proficient with database schema design, indexing, query optimization
- Linux and command line proficiency is desired
- Good understanding of MVC design pattern
- Experience using “git” is desired but not mandatory.
- Basic knowledge of web technologies is desired (HTML, CSS, JS and jQuery)
- Good knowledge of automated deployment, monitoring and performance analysis
- Hands-on DevOps experience is greatly desired
- Knowledge of cloud and server infrastructure (AWS in particular) will be a huge plus
Apply for this position
Login with Google or GitHub to see instructions on how to apply. Your identity will not be revealed to the employer.
It is NOT OK for recruiters, HR consultants, and other intermediaries to contact this employer