This post is over 30 days old. The position may no longer be available
Job opening for
Precision Agriculture for Development (PAD) seeks an experienced Finance Controller to be responsible for all finance, accounting, and reporting activities across the global non-profit organization and to ensure that PAD, as it rapidly expands, has the systems in place to support effective program implementation and to produce flawless audits. This is a hands-on position responsible for all day-to-day finance operations across the US, Kenya, India, etc. and would be suitable for a professional excited about fast growth opportunities and also rolling up their sleeves to participate in all finance functions. Given the global nature of our work, the position would require familiarity with working across currencies and comfort communicating across time zones. We offer competitive compensation and opportunities for international travel.
PAD is a US-based non-profit organization with a mission to support smallholder farmers in developing countries by providing customized agricultural information and services that increase productivity, profitability, and environmental sustainability. PAD is pioneering a model for agricultural extension: delivering farmers personalized agricultural advice via their mobile phones. PAD implements this model in collaboration with partner organizations and gathers evidence on its impact. PAD aims to improve the lives of 100 million farmers in developing countries with its services.
The initial phase of PAD’s work consisted of testing the impact of similar mobile phone-based agricultural extension services in multiple contexts across the developing world. That research found that while careful attention to design and context and careful evaluation was critical, mobile phone-based agricultural extension could increase adoption of appropriate farm management practices, yields, and incomes, with point estimates suggesting a benefit cost ratio of 10/1. Based on our initial evidence around a proof of concept technology, PAD began working with partners capable of scaling and further testing this approach, while simultaneously continuing to build its own research efforts.
A key element of our approach is helping partners with wide reach – such as governments, contract farming organizations, telecommunications firms, agribusiness, and NGOs – to design, build, evaluate, and improve customized mobile phone-based agricultural advisory systems. We help partners structure and improve their service offerings through incorporation of the latest availability technologies and data as well as insights from behavioral economics and social learning theory. Taking a global approach, we bring experience on what has worked elsewhere to every engagement and continue to optimize to local contexts using A/B testing and rigorous evaluation.
PAD currently has operations in four countries (India, Kenya, Pakistan, Ethiopia), is advising a partner in Rwanda, and is working towards new endeavors in Bangladesh, Ecuador, Uganda. These opportunities have allowed PAD to reach over 500,000 farmers by mid-2018, both with our own services and research efforts as well as through partnerships.
- Develop and implement internal controls and accounting procedures as necessary for a rapidly growing organization to ensure timely and accurate reporting.
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) standards, non-profit rules, and regulatory requirements.
- Supply the board and management with tools and timely and accurate information to make great business decisions; continually refine board reporting and dashboards to provide effective tools.
- Oversee all project/program and grants accounting coordination and compliance.
- Coordinate budgeting and annual independent audits.
- Oversee PAD’s use of financial information systems.
- Review draft contracts.
- Prepare all financial information for funding proposals, annual reports, and other special reports.
- Ensure compliance with all federal, state, and local corporate, tax, labor, and business legal requirements in US and internationally.
- Oversee organizational costs with eye towards strategic cost management.
- Prepare forecasting and cash flow analysis reports.
- Manage and track the performance of invested assets in keeping with policies and guidelines.
- Minimum of a BA; CPA preferred, knowledge of GAAP.
- At least 8 years of demonstrated hands-on experience in financial management and accounting, non-profit experience preferred.
- Solid experience implementing accounting systems in a growing organization.
- Significant experience with international non-profit organizations with multiple projects and grants.
- Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing financial software installations; advanced knowledge of accounting and reporting software.
- Quick learner and problem-solver who can identify areas for improvement and deliver results.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to function collaboratively and effectively in a team environment.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, effective management of multiple tasks, and successful completion of projects in accordance with deadlines.
- Strong written, verbal, and listening communications skills with experience in effectively communicating key data to senior management, board, or other outside partners.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and commitment to PAD’s mission; a proactive, hands-on strategic thinker.
- Adaptable and team player who is interested in being part of a fast-paced, growing, and diverse team with a start-up atmosphere.
- Experience with accounting practices in India, the US, and Kenya a plus.
- Experience in a rapidly growing startup a plus.
- Experience running Human Resource functions a plus.
- Location: Bangalore, India.
- Start date: As soon as possible.
- Compensation: Competitive, to be negotiated based on experience.
- To apply: Submit a CV and cover letter (motivation statement) through the PAD website. Applications without both a CV and cover letter explaining your interest and qualifications will not be considered. Please limit CVs to two pages.
Apply for this position
Login with Google or GitHub to see instructions on how to apply. Your identity will not be revealed to the employer.
It is NOT OK for recruiters, HR consultants, and other intermediaries to contact this employer