This post is from nic.in, which may or may not be affiliated with google.com
Data Science For Social Good [Ministry of Rural Development]
Posted by Harsh Nisar
Ministry of Rural Development, Government of India https://hasjob.co/nic.in/31f8r , New Delhi · docs.google.com/document/d/1vII1rnZRVMaWkxlKCUqnhfSvtXv9HtarNMBvlJfksFw/edit · Full-time employmentFull-time employment · ProgrammingProgramming
Interested in doing meaningful data science for social good?
Ministry of Rural Development is trying to scale its data science work and is looking for:
- Data Scientists (Python ML/DL ecosystem)
- Data Engineers (Hadoop, SQL, Dask etc)
- Product Manager (scoping, BI, mitigating harms)
These are full-time positions and not for volunteering etc.
More than 800 million people in India live in rural areas as of Census 2011. MoRD manages various government programs that directly/indirectly touch their lives. NREGA for social security net and employment, PMGSY for rural roads, PMAY-G for houses, NRLM for livelihoods and credit, DDUGKY for vocational training etc. Working at this scale generates a lot of data (tabular, geo-spatial, images etc).
Example projects (some we already do and some we may plan to pursue in the future):
- Can you write an algorithm which is able to simulate rural traffic on India’s 45,00,000 km road network to identify a very small fraction of important rural roads and arteries which require upgradation?
- Millions of road pictures are uploaded as proof against road maintenance payments. Can you train a DL model to flag the ones where payments are being made but the road is still in bad condition?
- Can you set up a hadoop bench over NREGA data to allow administrators to identify panchayats which require closer scrutiny because of abysmal work take-up in spite of high poor population or seemingly synthetic works being registered on a real time basis?
- Can you write a GIS algorithm to identify hamlets which are the furthest away from nearby banking infrastructure and help direct banking sakhis to those places to do door-to-door banking?
- Can you help create institutional knowledge within the Ministry of Rural Development and steer towards more responsible uses of algorithms and away from unfair, unaccountable and opaque uses?
- Can you create and administer a Public Sector Data Science Course to help MIS professionals in centre, state and district be more efficient with spreadsheets, powerpoint, visualizations etc. (A simple mail-merge can save hours of a government employee’s time every week!)
While the work is exciting and impactful, it requires serious responsibility and working within a culture you may not be familiar with.
If you have any doubts on how it is work in the government and the kind of work you’ll be doing – feel free to email ([email protected])
Tentative TORs for the job positions are here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vII1rnZRVMaWkxlKCUqnhfSvtXv9HtarNMBvlJfksFw/edit?usp=sharing
Apply for this position
Login with Google or GitHub to see instructions on how to apply. Your identity will not be revealed to the employer.
It is NOT OK for recruiters, HR consultants, and other intermediaries to contact this employer