Location: Bangalore or remote
Key skills: Either Ruby or Python; Git
Experience: 2+ years shipping live web products
What you’ll do:
Write code to build and sustain a tech stack for a mission-driven startup. That means developing, deploying, and integrating tools to enable our members to communicate with lawmakers and decisionmakers and support campaigns using email, mobiles, petitions, and social media.
Lead back-end development including software, database design, and data integration using API’s and cloud architecture.
Support occasional front-end deployment on our WordPress website
Collaborate with international developers on open source software
Contribute to major strategic decisions about the future of technology-powered digital campaigning in India
Bring fresh energy and ideas for people-powered digital campaigning
Required skills and experience:
- Fluency in either Ruby or Python
- Experience shipping web products in the real world
- Comfort executing relatively large scopes of work without supervision, including checking your own work, troubleshooting issues, and producing quality, maintainable code
- Ability to write collaborative, version-controlled code using Git
- Self-motivation and determination to set goals, stick to timelines, and see a project through with minimal management
- Excellent communication skills and ability to communicate easily with non-techies
- Familiarity with agile software development
- Fluency in English
This might be the job for you if you are:
- Excited about building technology to engage lakhs of Indians in civic action
- A quick, flexible learner and problem solver interested in new languages, tools, and frameworks
- Eager to lead in designing the whole architecture of a data system
- Independent, self-motivated, and highly communicative
- Interested in open source. We’re moving toward using more open source tools and contributing to a larger community of tech for good. Be a leader in pursuing that direction.
- Looking to work on something you love. You’ll see the results of your code hours after writing it, and you’ll go home at the end of the day knowing that you created some positive change in the world. At Jhatkaa, your impact will be direct, immediate, and tangible.
Jhatkaa.org is a nonprofit campaigning startup committed to building grassroots citizen power across India in effective and innovative ways. Jhatkaa.org harnesses technology to help people take collective action on issues that interest or affect them, and create change that would not be possible if they acted alone. Jhatkaa.org also collaborates with civil society to engage citizens to hold corporate, cultural and government leaders accountable in real time at key decision moments through various digital communication platforms. Some of our recent campaigns include protecting the Western Ghats, upholding net neutrality, and demanding government and corporate accountability.
We are a new, nimble organisation founded in 2013 that already has a track record of campaign victories that proves we can create massive impact. We are assembling a tech team to build tools that enable our team and rapidly growing membership of more than 2 lakh citizens to create a more just, sustainable, and inclusive future for all Indians.
Technology is core to our mission: we believe digital tools enable people to amplify their voices like never before. So far we have achieved notable growth -- occasionally in viral moments -- by building applications and customising an array of tools. Now we are looking for a back-end developer to grow our tool set into a cohesive, integrated system. Rather than building applications from scratch, you will give life to an ecosystem to support our mission. You will be a major part of the tech team, leading back-end development and integration while contributing to strategic decisions that affect organisational priorities.
Are you tired of working for MNC’s, working odd hours or changing your name and work style to accommodate international clients? At Jhatkaa, your users are the friends and colleagues sitting next to you, your mission is 100% Indian, and your bottom line is the promotion of social good.
It’s an exciting opportunity for someone who is driven, passionate, and self-motivated to have a major impact on our fast-growing movement.
Jhatkaa is committed to diversity and inclusion and we will consider all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, caste, religion, sexual orientation, age, or physical ability. Women and anyone under-represented in tech are especially encouraged to apply.
Jhatkaa compensates its team members in line with its values as an inclusive, progressive, mission-driven organisation. In addition to striving to provide our team members with financial stability, benefits include flexibility, democratic decision-making, personal and professional growth, and working for a great cause. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply in order to learn more about the many benefits of joining our team, such as:
- Work 40 hours per week (Monday to Friday 10-6) with no expectation to work evenings/weekends
- Work from home whenever you need to
- 4 weeks casual leave, not including sick leave or holidays