Data Systems Engineer
Posted by Rashmi Pandey (@rashmipandey)
IDinsight is hiring a full-time data systems engineer to grow our data management capabilities by building custom APIs that work with third-party software, setting up and managing and SQL databases, and producing data pipeline resources.
We are a social-impact oriented firm, so can guarantee incredibly meaningful work tackling some of the world’s most complex international development challenges across 3 continents.
IDinsight helps leaders combat poverty worldwide by designing, deploying and promoting evidence- generating tools. We tailor the best methodologies to partner needs and constraints to fuse evidence with action. We serve governments, NGOs, foundations and social businesses across Africa and Asia in all major program areas including health, education, agriculture, livelihoods, finance, energy and governance.
Our approach rests on four pillars:
- Rigorous: We develop and use a wide-range of cutting edge data and evidence tools, including experimental evaluations, monitoring systems, data analytics and visualization, process evaluations, machine learning and more.
- Cost-effective: Every dollar spent is justified by expected impact. If funds could be better used in another way, we say so.
- Timely: Actionable information is delivered in time for client decision-making deadlines.
- Demand-driven: We deploy solutions tailored to partner contexts and needs with no competing agendas.
Our diverse, growing team of over 150 outstanding colleagues operate in nearly two dozen countries around the world. Learn more at www.IDinsight.org.
About the Role
The Data Systems Engineer will have an exciting opportunity to drive IDinsight’s technical priorities in a period of sustained growth for the company. As we push ahead in our incubation of innovative data collection strategies, we seek to develop the technical infrastructure to support these activities through automated data pipelines, improved data management practices, and the seamless integration of 3rd party software into our technology stack. The Data Systems Engineer will be responsible for achieving these goals by developing software, managing cloud resources, and working closely with IDinsight staff to ensure that software solutions meet their needs and the needs of our clients.
We are seeking candidates with a strong background in Python, SQL databases, and Amazon Web Services. Applicants should also have experience creating custom API’s and knowledge of best practices in information security. Knowledge of a web development technology like Ruby on Rails or Node.js is a plus but not required. Most importantly, a successful candidate should possess the ability to work independently to solve complex challenges related to both software and humans.
Professional development for our technical roles is essential for IDinsight’s long-term impact. With support from IDinsight leadership, the employee will maintain a self-directed professional development plans and will be given "stretch" opportunities designed to strengthen their professional skills. Real-time feedback and structured reviews are regularly provided to maximize each Economist’s expertise. IDinsight’s entrepreneurial culture allows roles and career progression to be tailored to individual strengths, interests, and goals. Employees have the opportunity to increase responsibilities, and high performers will have to opportunity to move up in the organization along technical, managerial, or client-facing paths.
Opportunities to protect a small portion of time for the candidate to work on their own research agenda may be possible.
- Python, SQL, and experience working with custom APIs is required. Please do not apply without professional experience in these areas
- Must have experience working with at least one web application in a production setting
- Must be highly proficient in back-end development using Python, SQL, custom APIs and AWS products like RDS, EC2, and Lambda
- B.S./B.S.E. degree in Computer Science or related technical discipline, or 2+ years of equivalent practical experience. An advanced degree is desired but not required
- Ability to learn additional programming languages as needed
- 1+ years working with non-engineers to design and test products based on their needs
- Experience with relational databases and database architecture and strong object-oriented skills including design, coding, and testing patterns
- Proven ability to work alone and with teams in a dynamic, multicultural environment
- Passion for improving lives through evidence-informed policy
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English. Fluency in Hindi and other Indian languages a plus
- Strong values aligned with IDinsight’s stated values.
- Ability and interest in sharing knowledge, mentoring others, presenting work and reviewing the work of others
- Willingness to put in extra effort when required to meet deadlines
- Experience managing deliverables for multiple projects and diverse clients
- Experience working with AirFlow preferred. Experience with another workflow manager like Luigi is also valuable.
- Knowledge of UI frameworks, user interface design, and MVP application design
This position is located in New Delhi, India and travel is dependent on project needs.
Compensation is commensurate with relevant experience and background, and competitive within the social sector.
The start date is flexible during Summer/Fall 2019. We expect a minimum two-year commitment, with regular professional development conversations and potential for a long-term career at IDinsight.
Applications should include three references, including email, phone, and title. Briefly state in what capacity you worked with each reference. Candidates who have written references (especially as part of the academic job market) are asked to have them sent to us.
Applications are due by April 30th 2019 by 11:59 pm EST. You will be asked to fill in information (including research topics, relevant coursework, and geographic preferences) and submit relevant documents (resume, brief cover letter, and writing sample). More information can be found online at IDinsight Careers. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. IDinsight is an equal opportunity employer.
Apply for this position
Login with Google or GitHub to see instructions on how to apply. Your identity will not be revealed to the employer.
It is NOT OK for recruiters, HR consultants, and other intermediaries to contact this employer