Full Stack Web Developer (Data on Demand)
Posted by Rashmi Pandey (@rashmipandey)
Want to work at the intersection of data, technology, and business? Want your work to have a meaningful social impact? Want to help build an impactful social business and help define its culture? Want to work with highly motivated, fun, and talented colleagues from all over the world? - If yes, you belong here!
Data on Demand (DoD) is a data-focused technology-enabled innovation being incubated by IDinsight. At DoD, we are always looking to make everything FASTER, CHEAPER and OF HIGHEST QUALITY. In light of the rapid growth in demand, we want to expand our team and are looking for people who share our passion.
IDinsight helps leaders combat poverty worldwide by designing, deploying and promoting evidence-generating tools. We tailor the best methodologies to partner needs and constraints to fuse evidence with action. We serve governments, NGOs, foundations and social businesses across Africa and Asia in all major program areas including health, education, agriculture, livelihoods, finance, energy and governance. As a non-profit, we are laser-focused on enabling maximum social impact to improve millions of lives. Our approach rests on four pillars:
- Rigorous: We develop and use a wide-range of cutting-edge data and evidence tools, including experimental evaluations, monitoring systems, data analytics and visualization, process evaluations, machine learning and more.
- Cost-effective: Every dollar spent is justified by expected impact. If funds could be better used in another way, we say so.
- Timely: Actionable information is delivered in time for client decision-making deadlines.
- Demand-driven: We deploy solutions tailored to partner contexts and needs with no competing agendas.
Our diverse, growing team of outstanding colleagues operate in nearly two dozen countries around the world. Learn more about our mission and values at www.IDinsight.org.
Data on Demand intends to amplify social sector impact worldwide by making accurate data on hard-to-reach, low-income populations an order of magnitude faster and cheaper. Our platform represents over 60 million people in India and we hope to expand our operations to more geographies.
Traditionally, high-quality data collection approaches are expensive and slow for policymakers and program implementers, while more immediate data sources like MIS data are often highly unreliable. Data on Demand combines rigorous academic methods, cutting edge technological innovations and strong field networks to revolutionize data collection.
We are looking for a Full Stack Developer to produce scalable software solutions. You’ll be part of a cross-functional team that’s responsible for the full software development life cycle, from conception to deployment.
The Full-Stack Developer’s primary goal is to create a web application that will help DoD team members more easily manage surveys and facilitate communication with our distributed network of surveyors. The application already has an extensive product roadmap that may involve implementing complex features like an online optimization algorithm to efficiently assign survey targets to surveyors and a dynamic pricing algorithm for survey work. As DoD is constantly innovating on our survey operations, the Full Stack Developer will need to collaborate closely with the operational team to ensure that software products meet the needs of our users.
If you’re passionate about social impact and building cutting-edge software that can improve people’s lives, we’d like to meet you.
- Work with development teams and product managers to ideate software solutions
- Design client-side and server-side architecture
- Build the front-end of applications through appealing visual design
- Develop and manage well-functioning databases and applications
- Write effective APIs
- Test software to ensure responsiveness and efficiency
- Troubleshoot, debug and upgrade software
- Create security and data protection settings
- Build features and applications with a mobile responsive design
- Write technical documentation
- Work with data scientists and analysts to improve software
- Proven experience as a Full Stack Developer or similar role. The experience required is 5 years.
- Experience developing web applications for desktop and mobile.
- Minimum of 2 years experience developing Django applications.
- Familiarity with hosting web applications on AWS (Elastic Beanstalk, RDS).
- Familiarity with relational databases (PostgreSQL preferred), web servers (e.g. Apache) and UI/UX design
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
- Great attention to detail
- Organizational skills
- An analytical mind
- Degree in Computer Science, or relevant field
Skill and career development are core to IDinsight's values and long-term impact strategy, and have been noted highlights of teammates’ experiences. IDinsighters receive significant mentorship from IDinsight leadership, support from talented peers, and are given considerable autonomy when ready. They maintain professional development plans and are given "stretch" opportunities designed to strengthen a variety of skills. Real-time feedback is embedded in our culture and formal, structured enable maximum professional growth.
Nuts and Bolts
Compensation will be dependent on relevant experience and background but will be competitive with similar roles in the social sector. The preferred start date is as soon as possible. Applicants who can start quickly will be prioritized.
How to Apply
Please click the "Apply for this job online" button at the top right. The application asks various questions in order for us to get to know you, and requires a CV and cover letter. Applications are rolling and considered as they are submitted. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
More information, including spotlights of current and past IDinsighters, can be found online at IDinsight Careers. Any questions should be directed to [email protected] IDinsight is an equal opportunity employer and strives to create a diverse and supportive workplace.
Apply for this position
Login with Google or GitHub to see instructions on how to apply. Your identity will not be revealed to the employer.
It is NOT OK for recruiters, HR consultants, and other intermediaries to contact this employer