This post is from childgrowthmonitor.org, which may or may not be affiliated with welthungerhilfe.org
Senior Software Engineer
Posted by Ankit Gupta (@ankit851gupta)
This work is for the Child Growth Monitor project of the German Aid Organizaton, Welthungerhilfe. This posting concerns a full-time assignment working for Welthungerhilfe in a contract capacity.
Millions of child deaths are caused by malnutrition each year. 200 million children are suffering from malnutrition. Therefore, the United Nations have set the goal of Zero Hunger by 2030. In the fight against malnutrition, detection is the first important step, but it is not easy. Measuring children with traditional methods is still a complex, slow and expensive task, frequently resulting in poor data and wrong assessments of the situation.
Our mission: Every child should be measured for healthy growth and screened for signs of malnutrition to ensure their right to health and zero hunger. Our mission is to provide quick and accurate data on child malnutrition in the most ethical way. Our solution to measure children replaces hardware (measuring boards and physical scales) with software.
Our solution: The Child Growth Monitor uses augmented reality enabled smartphones to record 3D scans of children. Artificial Intelligence is used to predict their height, weight and middle upper-arm circumference.
Our technology stack that you would adopt and extend:
- Microsoft Azure Storage Accounts, PostgreSQL, Linux VMs, Kubernetes Clusters
- Azure DevOps, Pipelines, Repos + GitHub
- Python/Flask and OpenAPI v3
- Modern state-of-the-art frontend stack
- Degree in computer science, engineering, or similar fields, or comparable experience
- Solid experience in software engineering and designing and developing APIs
- Automated testing and continuous deployment are vital part of your workflow
- Meeting both technical and user needs is important to you
- At least 2 years of experience with Python
- Ability to judge and choose technologies
- Code quality and minimizing technical debt matter to you
- Good English communication skills
- Well-organized and focused on the important tasks at hand
- Bonus: experience with Scrum and remote work
- Bonus: experience with our tech stack
What we offer:
- Working for a social cause in a non-profit organization
- All code is open source GPLv3, high visibility on GitHub
- Working on one of the most urgent problems of mankind: solving the world hunger by 2030
- Competitive payment
- Working in an international, vibrant team
- Remote team work
Apply for this position
Login with Google or GitHub to see instructions on how to apply. Your identity will not be revealed to the employer.
It is NOT OK for recruiters, HR consultants, and other intermediaries to contact this employer